The earth sculpture grass mosaic was a design project I created while working as a horticulturist at High Glen Gardens in Frederick, Maryland.
The owner of the estate wanted to cover the existing mounds with dense plantings of ornamental grasses to increase visual appeal and minimize maintenance needs. Initially, I developed a colorful and complex mixture of warm season grasses that would blanket all of the existing mounds. Due to the owner’s concerns for limited staff and their ability to care for the large installation until the plants were established, I reduced the design to include only one mound to serve as a “trial run”.
I personally sourced the plant material and made substitutions based on availability. I also oversaw the installation and assisted in subsequent maintenance.
- Calamagrostis x acutiflora ‘Karl Foerster’ (feather reed grass)
- Panicum virgatum ‘Shenandoah’ (switch grass)
- Andropogon gerardii ‘Red October’ (big bluestem)
- Calamagrostis x acutiflora ‘Overdam’ (feather reed grass)
- Schizachyrium scoparium ‘Carousel’ (little bluestem)
- Muhlenbergia capillaris (pink muhly grass)
- Schizachyrium scoparium ‘Standing Ovation’ (little bluestem)